Friday, February 09, 2007

Wicked Fast

Last weekend I got a chance to start Wicked, in oh-so-soft Andean Silk in Lettuce.

It was wicked cold out, so James and I stayed in and watched Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest (surprisingly bad) and The Lakehouse (surprisingly not bad). Here is my progress after the first movie:


And after the second:


I did fiddle around and frog a few times in the beginning, though. I thought that the little cables didn’t look crisp enough on the 7s, so I did them on 6s instead. I’m a little concerned that I won’t get the full off-the-shoulder look because I also cast on four fewer stitches than called for on the neck band. I hope that this sweater will be work-appropriate though, so I guess it’s better to err on the side of a less revealing neckline.

Those four stitches bring me to a… comment that I have about this pattern. The pattern is so widely beloved that I won’t call it a gripe, but I have a couple of comments.

For those of you not familiar with the pattern, I call your attention to the mini-cables below.


See how they are staggered, with A cables crossing on rows 4, 8, 12 and B cables crossing on 2, 6, 10? I would consider this to be an 8-stitch pattern repeat. My size, however, called for a cast-on that was not divisible by 8. There were supposed to be 17 cable As, and only 16 cable Bs. I was originally taken aback because that means that there would be two cable As next to each other in the back of the sweater. On second thought, though, that part wouldn’t be a big deal. In the back, the cables are offset strangely anyway, because of the end of the round. See how below, the cables across the arrow from one another are only offset by one row? That is because they are on opposite sides of the beginning of the round.


Anyway, my second “comment” still stands: There is no good, clean, even-looking way to divide 33 cables onto a front, a back, and two sleeves. Now I know, technically that the neckband is in one piece, so the cables aren’t on the sleeves per se, but still. It looks cleaner when they all line up the same way. It wasn’t that hard to cast on 4 fewer stitches and have 32 cables to work with. 32 divides cleanly and evenly in all sorts of different ways.

6 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

First, I really love the color. Second, I have to say that although I really like their designs, and they seem like nice people, from what I've experienced of their patterns, the ZS gals are a little challenged on the mathematical aspects of pattern writing and yarn requirement estimating. You're not alone in your frustration - if you check out the Green Gable KAL blog you'll see a lot of similar sentiments expressed.

9:40 AM  
Blogger knitseashore said...

C and I saw the Lakehouse last weekend and really liked it. :)

I've been thinking about Wicked as I keep seeing on different blogs, but your honesty makes me reconsider it, at least for right now. I'm somewhat mathematically challenged myself, and not ready to make those sorts of adjustments.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Beautiful yarn.

I highly recommend renting "Click" with Adam Sandler. It was a very good movie that both my husband and I enjoyed!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Knit Nurse said...

I like it! The colour particularly - can't wait to see it when it's finished.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Batty said...

Nice color. And you're so fast!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Renada said...

OMG--you are better than me..I'd probably just make all the cables the same and call it a day...But I am enjoying reading about your progress!

12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home